Sometimes it's ok to be a follower

Monday, September 10, 2012

Metallic Markers

Good Evening Everyone,
Sorry my last post was kind of short and sweet. It wasn't my intention to just throw a digi at you and run. I got interrupted half way through the post and needed to run. 

I did want to share one more thing with you guys tonight. 
Promarkers Metallic Set

I have had these markers in an online wishlist for quite awhile. I love Promarkers and metallic could be really useful for adding a little extra dazzle to my images.
However one thing kept stopping me from purchasing these markers - they're water based. I've been disappointed with streaking when using water based markers in the past so I wasn't sure if I would just be wasting my money.

Several weeks pass and several times I get online and look at the markers. (as though something might change, lol) Then the unthinkable happens. My most frequented craft store starts carrying them and they have a huge display that looks very appealing. Now I want them even more. 

I go back and forth for a bit; wonder about the pros and cons, if the store would let me return opened markers if I hated them, and so on. Eventually, I just broke down and bought them. I figured I was spending more for gas driving to look at them repeatedly. In the long run it would be cheaper just to buy them.

So now that I've had a few days to experiment with them, I thought I would share just in case anyone else might be considering purchasing them too.

Here's a pic of the little slip inside the case:
Front

Back
Pros:
  • Beautiful rich colors that have a little shine to them
  • These would be great for coloring little bits metal and jewerly
  • They write on black paper, if you're not a fan of gel pens, paint pens, or colored pencils these might be a suitable alternative
Cons:
  • The color lay down is slightly harsh for large areas, so far I have not been able to get a successful blend with these. I'm not saying that it is impossible just maybe a bit difficult.
  • They write on black paper. (I know what you're thinking: wait wasn't that a pro??)  Yes it was, but it's a con too. It will completely coverup the black lines on your images too, so you have to be very careful while coloring.

Colors on white paper

Colors on black paper

Overall I do like them. They won't be my most used markers, but I believe there will be times when they come in handy.


Thanks for stopping by and letting me share.

Hugs,
Anna

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Anna - the colours really show on black card

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really useful, Anna.....thanks for the heads-up. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna! Just found your blog :D I also see that you have images to snag - THANK YOU! I did see others that are no longer available, so I tried to access your etsy site. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get there. Help pleeeeeeze :D

    Your images are ADORABLE! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the eyes and hair especially.

    Have a fabulous weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Here's the web address of my shop:
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuddlebugCutie

      I'll send you an email too.
      Hugs

      Delete
  4. Thanks Anna,
    It's always so useful to have an honest recommendation from a fellow crafter before splurging out on fairly expensive new items. I really appreciate your comments on the metallic markers here, thank you taking up your valuable time in writing them
    Best wishes, Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    Just found your blog and love your designs, I was just going to recommend laying the colour down onto a Glass Craft Mat or a old Tile etc then using a Waterbrush or a very lightly damp paint brush to pick up the colour to use on your designs. This can help you from having harsh line marks etc. Thats how ive been shown to use the Aquamarkers (Waterbased version of Promarkers), try having a look on YouTube for Tutorials as well if its any help to you. Hope this helps you be able to use them more.. :-). Crafty Hugs x

    ReplyDelete